Fellowships for Senior Researchers
We are looking for Senior Research Fellows from April 2020 onwards.
Based on the hypothesis that drawing boundaries between the religious and the non-religious is neither an exclusive sign of modernity nor the ‘West’, we have already explored corresponding emic taxonomies, forms of institutional differentiation and modes of demarcation in different eras and areas especially in the Islamicate World and several regions in Central, East, South and Southeast Asia. In the second funding phase, starting in 2020, we will regionally focus on the Americas, sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and Israel. Thus, also the fellows’ projects shall deal with one of these regions. Systematically, we especially want to shed light on the following aspects:
- path dependencies and probabilities, global entanglements, cultural encounters and processes of cultural transfer and translation
- processes of both religionisation and secularisation as well as of culturalisation and heritagisation
- the heterogeneity of ‘Western’ secularities
- the development and use of symbolic binaries and the relation between epistemic and social structures
- materiality of the religious and the secular and markers of secularity.
Fellowships will be awarded for periods between 6 and 12 months, in exceptional cases shorter stays (at least 2 months) will be possible as well. The scholarship amount depends on the scholar’s status.